Superintendent’s Report to the School Committee
February 13, 2019
PFLAG - Greater Boston Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Staff training - January 24th Professional Development Day
- Community Forum - Wednesday, February 6th @ 6:30 pm at SHS in the Auditorium. Approximately 20 people in attendance including a few children. Three guest speakers were phenomenal.
Director of Teaching & Learning (formerly Director of Curriculum & Instruction)
- Position posted January 3, 2019
- Posting closed this January 24th
- A total of 39 applicants
- Interview Committee: Julie DiLillo (HR Director), Lytania Mackey (Director of Digital Learning), Martha Raymond (Director of Student Services)
- Approximately, 10 candidates - phone screenings still happening
- First Round of Interviews: February 28th & March 4th
National Blue Ribbon Award Celebration & Reception
- Thursday, February 7th.
- Congratulations and a big thank you to the high school team of students and faculty that put this celebration together.
- A proud moment for the district and the community
REACH Arts Open House/Tea
- Took place Thursday, January 31st from 3 pm - 5 p
- Great event to see the spaces available
Kindergarten Information Night
- Took place on Tuesday, January 29th
- Very well attended
- A reminder that Kindergarten Registration is in-person, in the Superintendent’s Conference Room at the Middle School on Monday & Tuesday, March 18th & 19th from 7:30 am - 11:30 am
Stanley School - New Principal
- I am naming the Hadley School interim principal Mrs. Kathleen Huntley as the next permanent Stanley School principal.
- This appointment will take effect on March 18.
- Last October when we were interviewing for Ms. Ilana Bebchick’s maternity leave we formed an interview committee with myself and the following members: Mrs. Jennifer Hunt – Clarke School Principal, Ms. Ilana Bebchick – Hadley School Principal, Mrs. Julie DeLillo – Director of Human Resources, Mrs. Martha Raymond – Director of Student Services, Mrs. Carin Marshall – School Committee Member
- At the conclusion of the interview process, Mrs. Huntley was unanimously appointed the interim principal for Ms. Bebchick’s leave.
- In essence, Mrs. Huntley has been interviewing for the Stanley School principal position for the last 3-months, the longest interview I have ever conducted.
- Prior to coming to Swampscott, Kathleen served as principal at the Abbot School, a grade 3-5 school in Westford, from 2015-18. Prior to that, she was assistant principal at the Abbot and Nabnasset schools, grades K-2 from 2013-18. Before becoming an administrator, she taught science in at all levels, including as an adjunct professor at Merrimack College.
- Ms. Bebchick is scheduled to return from maternity leave on March 4. Mrs. Huntley will work at both Hadley and Stanley during the week of March 4 and take over Stanley as of March 18.
- I am truly thrilled to have someone with Kathleen’s level of experience leading Stanley School.