Superintendent’s Report to the School Committee
May 13, 2020
Remote Learning Plan:
- At the end of April new guidance came from the state
- School is out for the remainder of the year and now entering “Phase 3” of our Remote Learning Plan
- We had already implemented “new learning” practices while many districts were following DESE guidance to go “deeper.”
- We’ve had two working groups - one on Curriculum - Dr. Bacon and Engagement - Mr. Norkun
- As expected, districts are going to be required to submit a document to the state explain our Remote Learning Plans and what exactly we’ve been doing
- Dr. Bacon will give further details in her report.
Phone Calls with Commissioner Riley:
- Monday, May 4th
- We may be hearing more about a remote learning summer program but we were told more information will be forthcoming
- The Governor is expected to provide guidance and a timeline for us to allow teachers and students to remove belongings
- Next call is tomorrow
- Medication return - A letter went home to all families about a no-contact pickup of student medications on May 21st with a rain date of May 22nd.
- Reopening in the fall - I’ve received emails from parents inquiring about the plans for reopening school in the fall. It is premature to speculate what the fall will look like and the guidance that will be provided by the CDC and from the state.
- Grade 4 Transition Planning at SMS
- Taping a Zoom with to review the SMS 101 Program
- Virtual tour of the building with the help of Joe D.
- Mr. Calichman, Ms. Sanborn, Ms. Powers, and Ms. Pappas are scheduling Zooms with every 4th-grade homeroom at the end of May to introduce themselves to the students and answer any questions they may have.
- Tuesday Talks with the Superintendent
- Well-attended and great feedback (318, 242)